RE: American English translation of character names

From: Eric Scace (eric@scace.org)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 10:57:22 EST

       The logical "not" glyph got into EBCDIC because the concept was needed in computer programming. An example is the instruction
    that if A does not equal B, then do something. IBM picked up the glyph and incorporated it into its punch card systems.

       In the late 1970s the C programming language was one of the first to use the glyph "!" to mean logical "not"; e.g., "!=". This
    was a response to the use of mechanisms other than punch cards to enter program instructions (keyboards and CRTs, teletypewriters,
    etc). Earlier keyboard languages used a different workaround; e.g., "<>" for "not equal".

       (Apologies if this duplicates earlier information; I'm jumping into the thread rather late.)

    -- Eric Scace