RE: johab compound letters reference for Hangul? (3)

From: Kent Karlsson (kentk@cs.chalmers.se)
Date: Sun Dec 21 2003 - 10:27:47 EST

    Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > There are two new files to add in the UCD: one that defines these
    > extra "canonical Johab" compositions into Basic Jamos (I would call
    > it "HangulBasic.txt")

    I will try to catch up with what you have written about Hangul the
    last few days, and I'm happy to get some review comments on the
    collation tailoring. But give me a few days to catch up (and there is
    Christmas holidays coming up too...).

    But first, regarding KAPYEOUN-:

    The correct letter in the KAPYEOUN- constructs is a IEUNG, which was
    initially a silent letter wherever it occurred, and was for some time
    used to mark a particular consonant sound variation. YESIEUNG was
    initially a "ng" wherever it occurred. They later merged, and the
    "modern" IEUNG is silent as an initial consonant, but and "ng" as a
    final consonant. Glyphically they merged too. Initially IEUNG was just
    a ring, and YESIEUNG a ring with a clear "shoot" on top.

    I gave the KAPYEOUN- constructs a special weight since they
    (apparently) collate a bit later than what would be the result of just
    using the IEUNG weight. A reasonable simplification could be to
    just use the IEUNG weight also for the KAPYEOUN- constructs. But
    note that that results in a slightly different ordering.

    I also have two additional datafiles... One for the pseudo-canonical
    decompositions of multiletter jamos and pseudo-compatibility
    decompositions for the compatibility Hangul letters, and one for
    the special decompositions for KS X 1001 for Hangul compatibility
    letters. Note that the pseudo-canonical decompositions I have
    are into two jamo characters, since all other non-singleton
    canonical decompositions are into two other characters. That
    way the recomposition algorithm can be changed minimally.

    I'll check your comments, and we could then exchange files for
    off-line checking. (But allow a few days for delivery ;-)

                    /kent k