Re: Caron/Hacek (was: American English translation of character names)

From: Radovan Garabik (garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk)
Date: Mon Dec 22 2003 - 04:06:45 EST

    On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 12:10:29AM +0100, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    > > "Hácek" (pronounced hatchek, with the 'h' expirated,
    > > and with 'a' pronounced nearly like a short schwa) also means
    > > "little hook" in Czech...

    "a" in "háček" is not pronounced like a short schwa, it is _long_ a [aː]

    > > So the rounded "hook" glyph makes sense here, where the angular shape
    > > in Unicode charts is suspect and may have come from a historic bad
    > > interpretation of the Czech hatchek accent of by other latinists
    > > and typographers, who may have just borrowed the same metal shape
    > > used for circumflex to print Czech texts.
    > >
    > > If someone can find in a Czech library some old Handwritten scripts
    > > or even some source of Czech calligraphy, we could see if the
    > > angular modern form of hacek corresponds to its initial shape.

    I am now looking at a book printed in 1932, it has exactly the same
    form of háček as contemporary texts (symemtrical one). Even better, I have
    here one Slovak book published in 1846, and it uses moder form of "háček"s
    (perhaps they should not be called like this when discussing other languages
    than Czech), even on "t" "d" and "l" letters (no apostrophe-like form).

    > For now I can find this interesting page, which shows some dissymetric
    > shapes for the hacek diacritic in printed forms (however it is still
    > angular and reflects only modern use).
    >
    > http://www.typo.cz/_cetba/cetba-clanky-souv.html

    Beware, text at the picture displaying the dissymetric háček says that
    it is form designed Preissig (whoever he was) and that his notion of
    diacritics can look too striking and decorated (and indeed does to me).

    > Other references for "hácky" or "hácek" are found on the same typo.cz
    > website:
    > http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q=h%E1%E8ek&sp-a=sp0112ee00&sp-p=any&sp-f
    > =Windows-1250
    > But I can't read Czech to know what it really speaks about.

    result of searching for "háček" with a search machine? (that is the
    link)

    > Other typographic sources in Czech include also dissymetric hacek,
    > with the left side often bolder than the right side, also demonstrating

    as the www page says, it was common in pre-WWII typography.

    | Radovan Garabík http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |