A definition for orthograph ?

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Dec 25 2003 - 06:44:55 EST

    As one answer reveals to me that the term "orthograph" is apparently not
    defined in Unicode, and this may create confusion with the term "character",
    I'll try to define what I mean by this term, using carefully selected terms
    (each one is important):

        An orthograph is
        an agreed convention
            between writers of a selected language
        to use a common set of glyphs
            recognized as equivalent in that language and
            creating classes of glyphs
                commonly refered to as "characters"
                    by users of this convention,
        and to order these classes
        according to accepted "orthographic" rules
            (that try to match the language lexical
            and grammatical rules)
        in order to write words, sentences or whole texts
            that will be correctly understood by readers.

    The term "recognized" is important here, as well as the limitation of the
    term "equivalent". It supposes education and reading skills as they are
    tought. It's a good justification for making Fraktur and modern Latin
    letters separate as (despite they represent the same letters) they are not
    recognized by users of the most common form of the language.

    The term "class" above refers to wider subsets of glyphs than those that are
    acceptable to represent Unicode characters. This is a place where the
    "characters" defined in an orthograph are spanning distinct abstract
    characters in Unicode. In that case, Unicode would create distinctions
    between characters that do not exist in the origin orthograph, so that any
    Unicode character may be equivalently acceptable to correctly represent the
    word. Which abstract Unicode character is used is not relevant, so
    recognizing which form is better is not an option, but this creates needs
    for allowing "folding" rules or "decompositions", to restore the initial
    distinctions and equivalences relevant for an orthograph (the written
    language).