Re: why Aramaic now

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Dec 26 2003 - 14:09:15 EST

    Mark E. Shoulson <mark at kli dot org> wrote:

    > OK... so the controversy would be that you will say they are Hebrew
    > symbols and the Roadmap says they're Samaritan or Mandaic or whatever,
    > is that it? That's no big deal, as far as I can tell. These are
    > punctuation symbols, effectively. So what if a "Hebrew" text winds up
    > using punctuation from the "Samaritan" block (or vice-versa)? Such
    > usage probably ought to be noted in the informative notes on the
    > characters, naturally. Cyrillic and Greek (and Hebrew) already use
    > plenty of symbols from the "Latin" block, and nobody minds.

    The proposal to encode Glagolitic, which is scheduled for 4.1, describes
    its use with punctuation from not only the Latin but also the Armenian
    and Georgian blocks. Originally it called for punctuation from the
    Greek block as well, but those were unified with Latin characters.
    Apparently nobody saw this as a problem.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/