Re: Ancient Northwest Semitic Script

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 09:23:19 EST

    Dean

    Thanks for your reply

    It seems that you consider encoding characters to handle epigraphic needs
    acceptable.

    EPIDAURAN ACROPHONIC SYMBOL TWO (2 dots) and THESPIAN ACROPHONIC SYMBOL TWO
    (crooked line) seem to have the same underlying meaning - and I don't see any
    semantic difference between U+10143 ATTIC ACROPHONIC SYMBOL FIVE and U+1015F
    TROEZENIAN ACROPHONIC SYMBOL FIVE or between the characters 10144 ATTIC
    ACROPHONIC SYMBOL FIFTY, U+10166 TROEZENIAN ACROPHONIC SYMBOL FIFTY TYPE ONE ,
    U+10167
    TROEZENIAN ACROPHONIC SYMBOL FIFTY TYPE TWO and U+10168 HERMIONIAN
    ACROPHONIC SYMBOL FIFTY so these can only be there for epigraphic needs.

    So, the difference between epigraphic needs and palaeographic needs is where
    you seem to be drawing the line between what is acceptable to encode and what
    is not

    Both seem to be a matter of shape.- but one is a mater of different shapes and
    the other variations of a single shape

    regards

    - Chris

    "Dean Snyder" <dean.snyder@jhu.edu>