Re: Aramaic unification and information retrieval

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 11:33:12 EST

    Christopher John Fynn scripsit:

    > OTOH in their sphere Han Chinese at least seem keen to stress cultural
    > unity as much as possible - hence they see the 'Phags-pa script as
    > a Chinese invention - though others would say it was invented by a
    > Tibetan for Mongolian and is ultimately based on an Indic script.

    I do not read Chinese, but as I understand it, the claim is that the
    script was invented by a Zhongguoren (retrospectively speaking) though
    not by a Hanren, which is certainly true if you accept (as the Chinese
    government insists) that Tibet is part of Zhongguo.

    --
    MEET US AT POINT ORANGE AT MIDNIGHT BRING YOUR DUCK OR PREPARE TO FACE WUGGUMS
    John Cowan   http://www.reutershealth.com   jcowan@reutershealth.com