Re: [hebrew] Re: Aramaic unification and information retrieval

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 17:44:06 EST

    On 23/12/2003 22:05, Doug Ewell wrote:

    >Christopher John Fynn <cfynn at gmx dot net> wrote:
    >

    >>Remember that Unicode (not ISO 10646) was originally going to be a
    >>16bit (plane 0 only encoding) - so I suspect CJK unification was at
    >>least partly due to space limitations.
    >>

    >I think there was something in there about fundamental identity of the
    >characters as well.

    Doug, thanks for making this new point re ancient Semitic scripts.
    Fundamental identity of the characters is a strong reason for unifying
    these scripts as well as Han scripts. As I wrote a few days ago, ALEF
    is ALEF is ALEF is ALEF, whatever glyph shapes are used.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)