Re: Ancient Northwest Semitic Script

From: Jim Allan (jallan@smrtytrek.com)
Date: Sun Dec 28 2003 - 16:16:04 EST

    James Kass wrote on using variation selectors for fine glyph variations:

    > So, that approach might meet epigraphers' needs while enabling
    > painless cross-variant searching, and still permit scholars to
    > get on with encoding their texts as they see fit.

    For an example of what might be needed, see Rochelle I. S. Altman's
    discussion "Some Aspects of Older Writing Systems: With Focus on the
    DSS" at http://orion.mscc.huji.ac.il/orion/programs/Altman/Altman99.shtml :

    Altman indicates how differences in ligaturing, height, spacing and
    glyph variation are used in the unpointed "Phoenician/Hebraic Writing
    Systems" to indicate emphasis, pause, stress and even the difference
    between shin and sin.

    Encoding these texts with reasonable fullness would require a "stressed
    variant" variation selector, vowel phone variation selectors, a sin/shin
    variation selector as well as ZWJ and variant spaces already encoded.

    Jim Allan