Re: Ancient Northwest Semitic Script

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sun Dec 28 2003 - 18:34:12 EST

    On 28/12/2003 13:16, Jim Allan wrote:

    > For an example of what might be needed, see Rochelle I. S. Altman's
    > discussion "Some Aspects of Older Writing Systems: With Focus on the
    > DSS" at
    > http://orion.mscc.huji.ac.il/orion/programs/Altman/Altman99.shtml :
    >
    > Altman indicates how differences in ligaturing, height, spacing and
    > glyph variation are used in the unpointed "Phoenician/Hebraic Writing
    > Systems" to indicate emphasis, pause, stress and even the difference
    > between shin and sin.
    >
    > Encoding these texts with reasonable fullness would require a
    > "stressed variant" variation selector, vowel phone variation
    > selectors, a sin/shin variation selector as well as ZWJ and variant
    > spaces already encoded.
    >
    > Jim Allan

    Thank you, Jim, for this interesting reference, which I am copying to
    the Hebrew list.

    I note that the author refers inconsistently, even within the same
    paragraph, to "the Phoenician/Hebraic writing systems" and "the
    Phoenician/Hebraic writing system". When he uses more careful
    terminology, he writes: "one symbol-set system,
    <http://orion.mscc.huji.ac.il/orion/programs/Altman/Altman99.shtml#ftnt2>
    but two different script systems: Paleo-Hebraic and Square Aramaic"
    (i.e. in Unicode terms, Phoenician and Hebrew). See also footnote 33
    which explains the terminology further and makes analogies with Latin
    and Greek.

    But I think that this document should also be taken with a big pinch of
    salt. The author assert that "In trilinear limit systems, the symbols
    move up and down according to the stress rhythms of the languages. //
    Durational notation, that is, the length of time a sound should be held,
    is recorded by the amount of movement from side-to-side, that is,
    expansions and contractions of the space between graphic forms." But
    this is simply untrue as a generalisation across many script systems,
    even if it is true of some examples of some scripts. There is of course
    an obvious tendency for some writers of any language to write important
    words, those stressed when spoken, with larger or more carefully shaped
    and spaced glyphs, and to write secondary material, whichis likely to be
    spoken hurriedly, with small and indistinct glyphs. But this kind of
    variation is surely beyond the scope of Unicode.

    It is very interesting to me that there does seem to have been a glyph
    distinction (though a very subtle one) between sin and shin, in the
    "serech" example
    (http://orion.mscc.huji.ac.il/orion/programs/Altman/serech.jpg) of what
    is undoubtedly (in Unicode terms) Hebrew script. If this distinction can
    be verified a case can be made for encoding a separate HEBREW LETTER
    SIN, equivalent to shin with sin dot. But it is difficult to verify this
    when three scribes within the same document make the distinction in
    three different ways.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)