Re: [hebrew] Re: Ancient Northwest Semitic Script (was Re: why Aramaicnow)

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 09:55:46 EST

    On 28/12/2003 20:47, D. Starner wrote:

    >Intra-script, a difference in appearance has call for seperate codings.
    >Inter-script, if the appearance is dissimilar enough to be a bar to
    >reading, and there's a disjoint population of users (so that one is
    >not a handwriting or cipher variant of another), there is reason to
    >encode a seperate script.

    Well, there is not a disjoint population of serious users of Phoenician
    and Hebrew today, in that anyone who wants to read Phoenician
    inscriptions is almost certainly already familiar with Hebrew (a very
    closely related language) in Hebrew script. The only other user
    community that I know of for Phoenician is those who are interested in
    the development of alphabets and glyph shapes. But only images, or just
    possibly a wide range of fonts, can provide the script style
    distinctions which such people require.

    >>Emerson's division
    >>would suggest four different scripts ought to be used for coding the
    >>same texts with the same logical characters with the same names,
    >>

    >Yes. Look at Serbo-Croat; there are the same texts with the same
    >logical characters, one in Latin and one in Cyrillic. I'd be
    >surprised to find that the only case; I would assume some of the
    >Turkic languages that switched from Cyrillic to Latin did so by
    >changing glyphs instead of any deeper script features.

    Yes, this is true at least of Azerbaijani, which mapped Cyrillic glyphs
    to Latin ones one-to-one. But with Serbo-Croat we are talking of two
    separate communities which prefer to use separate scripts for what is
    essentially the same language; and with Azerbaijani we are talking of a
    deliberate decision by a people, or at least its government, to change
    scripts.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)