RE: German 0364 COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER E

From: D. Starner (shalesller@writeme.com)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 13:11:31 EST

    > Texts may use <a, c. diaeresis> as well as <a, c. small e above>
    > in the same text, even the same font (and there are (old) documents
    > that do so, even though they may use these characters interchangeably).
    > It is up to the author to decide which to use, not the font designer.

    We had this argument before, and I believe the argument that fonts
    with a small e above for diaresis are perfectly acceptable. Yes, there
    are documents that use a small e above and diaresis, but there are also
    many more documents that use U+0261(ɡ) and 0067(g) together, and that
    doesn't mean that a Latin font must use a g with a looped tail.

    > And one cannot rely on fragile font selections.)

    If I'm going to use a font that has a small e above for diaresis, my
    point is not to convey information; it is to carry off a particular
    style. Most uses of that font are going to be turned into graphics
    or printed to hard-copy or turned into PDF files where the font
    selection isn't fragile at all. Just because scholars need certain
    fonts, and a particular font style would not be acceptable for Arial
    Unicode, doesn't mean that a font style shouldn't be used ever.

    Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
    http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm