Re: What's in a wchar_t string on unix?

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 05:32:27 EST

    Hi Rick,

    On Thursday, March 04, 2004 6:56 PM, Rick Cameron va escriure:

    > Woo-hoo! Finally, a real answer,

    I am sorry for you, but when one posts to some high-volume mailing list, he
    should expect a rather bad signal/noise ratio; this is often seen as an
    opportunity to get some really good answers from people that usually you did
    not think about; on the other hand, there are always a number of answers, or
    even part of posts, that are unuseful, and some even misleading.

    Another view is that these high-volume lists are set up to give opportunity
    for a lot of readers to learn things. In this sense, I believe some people
    did learn things about how to manage Unicode datas with C. I hope they were
    not too much misleaded, though.

    > rather than speculation.
    <snip>
    <snip>
    > I'm also quite sure all major Unix/Linux systems support the
    > functions that I mentioned. (I also believe majority will support
    > UTF-32BE, UTF-32LE and such variations too in the iconv() code
    > conversions by the way.)
    >
    > Additionally, since POSIX defines wchar_t as an opaque data type, we
    > hope that people are using the std C interfaces to do conversions
    > between wchar_t and multibyte characters if possible.

    I also saw speculations in Mr Ienup Sung's post... Looks like it is human
    nature, I'd say.

    Antoine