RE: Version(s) of Unicode supported by various versions of Microsoft Windows

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 18:40:22 EST

    > From: Peter Kirk [mailto:peterkirk@qaya.org]

    > >>for %Y in ("Product %X\functions\*.*") do ask "Can product %X
    > >>correctly
    > >>perform function %Y on all characters in Unicode version %N?"
    > >>
    > >>Perhaps a mechanism is needed to AND together the answers for each
    > >>product. If the result is TRUE, product %X might be considered to
    > >>support Unicode version %N.

    > >Well, I don't think there's much need to go through the exercise: I
    can
    > >tell you right now there is no product anywhere for which the result
    of
    > >that query would be TRUE, for any value of %N. Nor would I
    necessarily
    > >expect there ever to be.

    > What, not even a product whose only functions are to convert between
    > Unicode encoding forms?

    OK; I guess I misunderstood the question you were asking. I see now that
    it's "Can a given product correctly perform all of its functions
    (whatever those might be) for all characters in a given version of
    Unicode?" Sure, there will be combinations of products and versions of
    Unicode for which that will be true. Character Map is probably one such
    example.

    But if the product is an OS, I'm pretty sure there will not be any.

    Peter

    Peter Constable
    Microsoft Windows Division