Re: Investigating: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER J WITH DOT ABOVE

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Mar 17 2004 - 11:45:27 EST

    On 17/03/2004 07:12, Ernest Cline wrote:

    >Well, in the event that Unicode ever does add DOTTED J to go with
    >DOTLESS J, I sincerely hope that it does not follow the example of
    >DOTTED I and DOTLESS I. It would have been better in my opinion
    >to have encoded upper and lower case forms of both characters
    >separate from the ordinary I. That would have placed language
    >specific burdens not on the casing algorithm of Unicode but on the
    >transfer of data from legacy character sets. It's probably too late
    >to change this for the I, but hopefully this can be avoided for J if
    >a distinct dotted J character is needed.

    It was too late to change this one even before Unicode was dreamed up,
    in fact as soon as anyone started using legacy character sets to write
    Turkish and used the ordinary ASCII i and I for Turkish dotted i and
    dotless I respectively. Any documents in mixed Turkish and European
    languages, without explicit language markup, would be hopelessly messed
    up, and the burden which you wanted to put "on the transfer of data from
    legacy character sets" would have implied the need to rewrite all such
    documents.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)