Re: help needed with adding new character

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 15:06:53 EST

    From: "Michael Everson" <everson@evertype.com>
    > At 19:04 +0000 2004-03-18, Jon Wilson wrote:
    >
    > >I also disagree that the Anarchy symbol has no use within a text. I
    > >do not doubt that I can find examples of published texts where the
    > >anarchy symbol is used throughout.
    >
    > Please do.

    I've seen it on brochures and fliers distributed in streets during pre-electoral
    periods by several work unions and local branches of the far-left parties in
    France.

    These symbols are common also on some displays sticked illegally on street walls
    and street lights. You'll find plenty of street "art" or tags reproducing this
    symbol.

    But almost always the symbol is used only for what it represents itself and is
    never part of a word. I see it exactly like a logo for a party, or for a company
    trademark.

    I've never seen it used in book indexes for example... Unlike, religious symbols
    that are commonly found near people names in necrological parts of newspapers,
    or in various book indexes where they are used as a convenient and meaningful
    shortcut for a more complete annotation.