RE: help needed with adding new character

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 00:44:17 EST

    At 04:18 PM 3/18/2004, Mike Ayers wrote:
    > > Note that in *that* rendition of the anarchy symbol, the
    > > crossbar on the A does *not* touch the circle on either
    > > edge, but it may just be that the renderer was a little
    > > short of black paint.
    > I find
    > http://www.oneposter.com/Product-recordCount-1-stockid-3744.html more
    > closely resembles the ones that I am used to.

    naa. If anyhing it has to be an A that's not fully contained in a circle,
    like in the first
    example Ken sent out:

    http://www.oneposter.com/Product-recordCount-1-stockid-6050.html

    The cross bar of the A is not one neatly connecting the two tall strokes, but
    that doesn't mean it needs to go outside the circle or touch it.

    > > "Does the anarchy symbol (an 'A' surrounded by a circle) convey
    > > any messages of hate?"
    > Of course! It conveys the message, "I hate my parents"!
    > > If the anarchy symbol is recognized as "an 'A' surrounded by
    > > a circle", then why is its representation by a character
    > > U+24B6 CIRCLED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A insufficient for any
    > > putative occasional representation of the symbol in text?
    > I still want to see it used *as* text, of which we have so far
    > had no example.

    Just like the circled P at 24C5 and 2117 are different and just like the
    PEACE SYMBOL is not decomposed as 16E3 with enclosing circle...

    In less than half an hour of looking at printed samples, I've been able to
    locate two instances of the symbol replacing the letter A in a word. If
    that's not use in text, I don't know what is.

    A./