RE: Oriya: representation of ya-phalaa

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 00:53:37 EST

    > From: Ernest Cline [mailto:ernestcline@mindspring.com]

    > Based on http://www.tdil.mit.gov.in/OriyaScriptDetailsApr02.pdf
    > I think that only YYA can be used to generate the Oriya ya-phalaa.

    That doc tells me they expect < ..., virama, YYA > to display as
    ya-phalaa, but it says nothing about how < ..., virama, YA > should be
    displayed.

    I also don't draw conclusions from that document alone because there are
    some other details it fails to discuss (e.g. a below-mark form of the
    i-kaar used on certain consonants), some other details on which it
    differs from what is in Unicode 4.0 (e.g. wa-phalaa), and some details
    that are AFAICT completely bizarre (e.g. saying that the m-pa ligature
    and conjuncts with subjoined pa are encoded as < C, virama, ga, virama,
    dha >).

    I also have to consider that several books in English or Oriya that
    describe the script describe ya-phalaa as a conjoined form of ya, not
    yya.

    So, at the end of the day, I know that YYA can generate ya-phalaa, but I
    still need to know how to render sequences with < ..., virama, YA >.

    Peter Constable