Re: Irish undotted i

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 15:14:29 EST

    Scríobh brian@gael-image.com:
    >Quoting Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com>:
    >
    >> If it's really necessary to facilitate that, Marion (or whoever) should
    >> propose a variation-selector sequence.
    >I don't know why it didn't occur to me before, but there's actually a very
    >logical argument to support this necessity.
    >
    >In Irish writing that uses the dot-convention, the dot represents lenition.
    >Vowel phonemes are not liable to lenition, so it doesn't make any sense to
    >have
    >a dotted i, any more than a dotted a, e, o, or u.

    Exactly my point. I believe I had a similar conversation in February 14 yrs
    ago, with a newly-arrived American lad (when I was still on my first Mac
    and a VM100) who traded me, for a copy of Ó Dónaill's dictionary (and I
    considered cheap at the price), a poor, raggedy attempt at an Irish font my
    Department refused to purchase, but which fired my hungry soul's
    imagination.
    mg

    --
    Marion Gunn * EGTeo (Estab.1991)