Re: Urdu Unicode website [Was: Novice question]

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 16:00:47 EST

    On 24/03/2004 11:22, Peter Constable wrote:

    >>From: Peter Kirk [mailto:peterkirk@qaya.org]
    >>

    >>Does it include input methods for all of the letters used in Urdu?
    >>Antoine pointed out to me that the Arabic (101) keyboard which I
    >>mentioned does support all of these methods. Or are you calling
    >>Character Map an input method?
    >>

    >No, I wasn't counting CharMap. I don't know what all characters are used
    >in Urdu. The info at
    >http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/win2k/setup/lcid.mspx
    >indicates that the Arabic (101) keyboard is the default on Win2K for
    >Urdu.

    Well, that is clearly a deficiency in Windows 2000 in that the Arabic
    (101) keyboard does not support all the characters in Urdu. You would do
    well to admit it, as Microsoft has already admitted it at
    http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/drintl/columns/011/default.mspx#Q4,
    which says:

    > The Urdu keyboard was not released as part of the Windows 2000
    > original installation CD's, but you can now get it from the
    > Microsoft.com web site at http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/msdn.

    Unfortunately there is no sign of the keyboard when you go to that link.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)