Re: Urdu Unicode website [Was: Novice question]

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Mar 25 2004 - 09:57:10 EST

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org>
    To: "Antoine Leca" <Antoine10646@leca-marti.org>
    Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 2:19 PM
    Subject: Re: Urdu Unicode website [Was: Novice question]

    > On 25/03/2004 03:33, Antoine Leca wrote:

    > >As Peter correctly noted from day 1, all this stuff is not very important,
    > >since Urdu users really expect nastaleeq style, so either they are not using
    > >Urdu support, or they use proprietary solutions which extent remains to be
    > >explained by competent persons.
    > >

    > There are Unicode Nastaliq fonts available, although not from Microsoft.
    > See http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts.html#arabic; both of the links
    > to fonts called nastaliq are currently broken, but one of them can be
    > found at http://www.crulp.org/nafeesNastaleeq.html, see also
    > http://www.crulp.org/Downloads/NafeesNastaleeq_Release_Notes.pdf. These
    > are supposed to work with Windows, presumably with Uniscribe, but I
    > don't know how well; there is a sample of in this PDF file. The
    > Microsoft Urdu keyboard presumably produces the required characters.

    Add http://pakdata.com/ which distributes a very readable font and keyboard
    stickers and various Urdu softwares and solutions.

    Or http://www.urduseek.com/ which references many other Urdu solution vendors.

    Or www.kelk.org which has a comprehensive web site for the Urdu language and
    Persian calligraphy.

    Or http://www.arbornet.org/~tabish/u-trans/ where you'll find the "urdu.exe"
    download which bundles the "Urdu Nastaliq Unicode" font, probably the most
    readable and accessible font for display at low resolutions on the web...
    However the font seems no longer accessible isolately without the Urdu.exe
    installer for Windows.

    If you still can't find the font, look into the Mozilla addons website (I can
    remember I downloaded this font first from there, not sure about it).

    Urdu authors say that the Titus Cyberbit Basic font is also enough for Urdu.

    If you think you have a suitable font, see a sample of the Urdu alphabet here
    (where it is used to demonstrate a "ArabTeX" transliteration input method for
    Arabic/Urdu letters entered as Latin letters, something that would probably be
    easier for users of Latin-based QWERTY and AZERTY keyboards):

    http://www.arbornet.org/~tabish/u-trans/u-otf.html

    Other directories here (but many links broken):
    http://www.languages-on-the-web.com/links/link-urdu.htm