RE: Printing and Displaying Dependent Vowels

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 15:02:50 EST

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org]
    On Behalf
    > Of Philippe Verdy

    > At end of my response to Antoine Leca, I suggested something which may
    merit
    > some comments:

    Does that imply that it might also *not* merit comments?

    > > What is clear is that there's no way to enable these features
    explicitly in
    > plain-text files, if there's no standard format control in Unicode to
    enable
    > these OpenType font features. May be these could become new
    "characters" to
    > allocate in plane 14?

    This sounds suspiciously like "courtyard codes". (Wonders to self: Are
    "Philippe Verdy" and "William Overington" aliases for the same person?
    :-)

    > What I mean here is that there's currently no defined way to convey in
    plain
    > text files the intended rendering "features" that are now common in
    OpenType
    > fonts and engines.

    Nor should there be, any more than there should be ways in plain text to
    indicate typeface, point size, style, etc. There is a class of
    representations for such information called "rich text", and such
    representation has been and will very likely continue to be beyond the
    scope of plain text.

    Peter

    Peter Constable
    Microsoft Windows Division