Re: Printing and Displaying Dependent Vowels

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 19:36:57 EST

    C J Fynn wrote:

    > If someone wants this, isn't it possible to put a specific lookup in the font
    > so that any dependant vowel following a space character renders as a spacing
    > (stand-alone) dependant vowel? Surely a specific lookup should overide it being
    > displayed on a dotted circle by default.

    Not necessarily. Applications or layout engines may insert the dotted circle character on
    the fly during rendering in what they consider invalid sequences. Clearly space+mark is
    not an invalid sequence according to Unicode, but there may still be some apps that handle
    this incorrectly. Also, space characters have layout behaviours that do not always make
    them an ideal base for combining marks, e.g. being swallowed at the end of lines.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC        tiro@tiro.com