Re: Printing and Displaying Dependent Vowels

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 08:01:59 EST

    On 27/03/2004 17:17, John Hudson wrote:

    > jameskass@att.net wrote:
    >
    >> So, if the question is how to make an OpenType font *not* display the
    >> dotted
    >> circle on Windows with Uniscribe, one idea would be to add a spacing
    >> glyph to
    >> U+25CC (DOTTED CIRCLE) in the font. This spacing glyph should be a
    >> no-contour
    >> glyph, perhaps with the same advance width as U+0020. I've not tried
    >> this,
    >> but it might just work.
    >

    > It should work: Uniscribe inserts the U+25CC glyph that is in the
    > font, so this could be something other than an actual dotted circle.
    > Another option would be to map the dotted circle to a non-contour
    > spacing glyph in one of the discretionary OpenType Layout features
    > such as <salt>, which would allow users of apps supporting that
    > feature (currently only InDesign ME, so far as I know) to choose
    > whether or not to display the circle.
    >
    > John Hudson

    I don't like the look of this one. It might work as a kludge, but surely
    we should not encourage kludges in which the glyph (or non-glyph in this
    case) for one character, SPACE, is used with the code point of another
    character, U+25CC. This would cause considerable confusion for those
    deliberately trying to insert U+25CC, perhaps because they want to
    display the combining mark with a dotted circle.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)