Double diacriticals (was: "Re: Bantu click letters")

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 21:10:45 CDT

    On 2004.06.10, 18:45, Michael Everson <everson@evertype.com> wrote:

    >> After a "double" diacritical, any further combining character could
    >> take as its base the "pair" of spacing characters "under" the said
    >> double diacritical, shouldn't it?
    >
    > I tried that in TextEdit, which is pretty smart, and the second
    > diacritic didn't centre over the pair, but rather over the 0251. But
    > I guess that's the only choice, and it would be a question of making
    > a precomposed glyph.

    With six combining double characters (U+035D..U+0362) and a zillion
    regular combining characters (101 alone in the U+0330 block), of which
    a full dozen would be in realist need, we'd need at the very least
    6×12=72 precomposed glyphs.

    Isn't the Standard explicit about the positioning of a regular
    diacritical after a double one?

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    PT-1XXX-XXX LISBOA Não me invejo de quem tem |
    +351 934 821 700 carros, parelhas e montes |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://pagina.de/bandeiras/ a água em todas as fontes |