Re: Greek tonos and oxia

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 06:39:17 CDT

    On 29/06/2004 16:07, busmanus wrote:

    > I have a (hopefully) short question about "polytonic" Greek support.
    > Does anyone know what the idea was behind encoding Greek vowel+acute
    > combinations (without apirates, etc.) twice: first in the Basic
    > Greek section as vowel+tonos, for the second time in the Extended
    > Greek section as vowel+oxia? What is the recommended usage for
    > Classical Greek (and why is it better)?

    If you prefer to use precomposed characters (rather than separate
    diacritics as Ken suggested) or need to do so to meet W3C
    recommendations, you should use the ones in the Extended Greek section,
    which allow for a distinction between acute and grave accents which is
    important for Classical Greek.

    You may like to look at Nick Nicholas' Greek Unicode site at
    http://ptolemy.tlg.uci.edu/~opoudjis/unicode/unicode.html, which
    discusses these issues.

    --
    Peter Kirk