Re: not font designers?

From: Edward H. Trager (ehtrager@umich.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 12:53:01 CST

    On Sunday 2004.11.07 12:10:41 -0800, Asmus Freytag wrote:
    > At 08:29 PM 11/6/2004, Doug Ewell wrote:
    > >You've received nine public responses: one from a genuine font designer,
    > >two (or more, depending on interpretation) from people who have designed
    > >fonts at some time but don't identify themselves as "font designers,"
    > >and the remainder from people who definitely aren't font designers. It
    > >would be disingenuous to suggest that the other 591+ list members who
    > >have not responded must therefore be font designers.
    >
    > But we got a glimpse of the diversity that's out there.

    While I agree that the glimpse of diversity that has been provided by
    respondants to this thread has been
    informative, the responses most definitely do not
    constitute a random sampling from
    a statistician's point of view.

    It would be interesting to know the true distribution, or a statistical
    approximation of the true distribution, of people on the list. I doubt
    we are going to get that, though.