Re: Unicode HTML, download

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 18:50:25 CST

    From: "Edward H. Trager" <ehtrager@umich.edu>
    > Hi, Elaine,
    >
    > There is of course no limit to how many writing systems
    > one can have on a Unicode-encoded HTML page.
    >
    > My recommendations would be to:
    >
    > (3) Use Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) classes to control display of fonts
    > A better CSS class would additionally specify the font-family,
    > for example, something like the SIL Ezra font
    >
    > (http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=EzraSIL_Home
    >
    > (4) Since your readers may not have certain fonts, In the case of legally
    > downloadable fonts like SIL Ezra, I would definitely put a link to the
    > download site so readers can download the (Hebrew) fonts if they need
    > it to view
    > your page.

    Probably a bad advice here: Elaine speaks about a technical glossary, which
    would probably be written in modern Hebrew, for which there's not much
    complication with traditional accents.

    So any suitable font for modern Hebrew (on Windows XP, the default fonts
    provided are suitable: Arial, Tahoma, Times New Roman, David, David
    Transparent, Myriam, Myriam Transparent. With Office installed: Arial
    Unicode MS) could be prefered by users, and configured in their browser.
    Why forcing them to use SIL Ezra in the CSS stylesheet?

    At least you should say to Elaine to use a font family with multiple font
    names, in order of preference, separated by commas, and surrounded by quotes
    if font names are not single identifiers:

    <!DOCTYPE ...>
    <title>some title</title>

    .he {
        font-family: "SIL Ezra", "Arial Unicode MS", David, Myriam, Tahoma,
    Arial, sans-serif;
        direction: rtl;
    }
    .r {
      text-align: right;
      right-margin: 2em;
    }
    //--></style>

    </head><body>

    (Note that, like in the above example, you can specify multiple class names
    separated by spaces in the class="" attribute, so it's possible to create
    style rules for localized font families, that can be reused independantly
    with other style classes. This may be useful notably if the document
    displays multiple languages in a tabular format where many attributes in a
    column should be set nearly identically for the other column, differing only
    by the font families to use for each language/script.)