Re: [increasingly OT--but it's Saturday night] Re: Unicode HTML, download

From: Stefan Persson (alsjebegrijptwatikbedoel@yahoo.se)
Date: Sun Nov 21 2004 - 07:40:54 CST

    Christopher Fynn wrote:
    > I've noticed, that with Windows and IE, - when going to a page with
    > characters for a script for which fonts are not installed my system, IE
    > will sometimes ask whether or not I want to download & install fonts for
    > that script from Microsoft's web site.
    > This only happens in some cases - even where the same script is
    > involved. I've looked the source of some of these pages but I've never
    > been able to identify just what what triggers this. Does anyone know?

    I think M$ bases their guesses on what to download on the charsets used.
      If e.g. EUC-JP is used, you may be asked to download a Japanese fount,
    even if the page doesn't contain any Japanese characters at all, but it
    a Japanese page is encoded as UTF-8 (or even as Latin-1 with NRCs), you
    are not asked to download any Japanese fount. I haven't used M$ IE for
    many years, though, and my memory might be wrong.

    Stefan