Re: Script Continuums (Was: Re: Greek glyphs)

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 04:23:13 CST

    On 02/03/2005 01:56, UList@dfa-mail.com wrote:

    >I find it highly odd -- and unacceptable -- for you to actually (if you read
    >the words you wrote) forbid Greek users from displaying anything but standard
    >Greek script in HTML.

    No one is forbidding this. There is nothing at all to stop you using
    normal Greek characters in HTML marked up with a CSS style indicating a
    particular font, and putting your variant character shapes in that font.
    There may be issues about ensuring that all readers have that font
    installed, but that is a separate issue. HTML does not intend to
    guarantee that the displayed text is identical to the original. If you
    want that, use an image file or PDF.

    What is missing, apparently, is a mechanism linking HTML and CSS with
    the emerging technology of font features. Adding such a mechanism just
    might make what you want to do easier, but the lack of it doesn't make
    anything impossible.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)