Re: Ambiguity and disunification

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 10:22:48 CST

    Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya dot org> wrote:

    >>> In Unicode 4.0, any GC character is unambiguously ambiguous.
    >>
    >> It's what?
    >>
    >> Can I put that in my quotes file?
    >
    > Of course! There is no question that such a character is ambiguous, no
    > one can claim that it is unambiguously Greek or unambiguously Coptic.
    > But in Unicode 4.1 or 5.0 some people might conclude that these
    > characters are unambiguously Greek, although such a conclusion might
    > be misguided. Understood now? Or is it still all Greek, or perhaps
    > Coptic, to you? :-)

    It just sounded funny, that's all.

    Some years ago I was testing an error-handling routine I had just
    written, and when the relevant error condition came up and the routine
    handled it properly, I heard myself say, "Good, it failed successfully."
    Of course it made sense at the time, but it sounds ridiculous on its
    face. Your statement reminded me of that.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/