Re: Ambiguity and disunification

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 10:27:51 CST

    On a somewhat more serious note:

    > Of course! There is no question that such a character is ambiguous, no
    > one can claim that it is unambiguously Greek or unambiguously Coptic.
    > But in Unicode 4.1 or 5.0 some people might conclude that these
    > characters are unambiguously Greek, although such a conclusion might
    > be misguided. Understood now? Or is it still all Greek, or perhaps
    > Coptic, to you? :-)

    I think what some people have been trying to say is that this would be
    true *whether or not* a separate unambiguous-Greek block were added.
    Existing Greek (and Coptic) data will still be encoded in the existing
    block, existing keyboards will continue to generate code points from the
    existing block, and that data will continue to be ambiguous. Not much
    can be done about that.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/