Re: Ambiguity and disunification

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 11:30:19 CST

    On 04/03/2005 16:27, Doug Ewell wrote:

    >I think what some people have been trying to say is that this would be
    >true *whether or not* a separate unambiguous-Greek block were added.
    >Existing Greek (and Coptic) data will still be encoded in the existing
    >block, existing keyboards will continue to generate code points from the
    >existing block, and that data will continue to be ambiguous. Not much
    >can be done about that.

    Oh, I agree. And so there is not much point in doing disunifications
    unless users are actually committed to changing to the new code points.
    That is why a good decision was made not to introduce a separate
    unambiguous Greek block. And it is why whenever a new script is proposed
    it needs the clear support of those who are intended to use it, as was
    true with Coptic. For if the users want to continue to treat the script
    as a set of glyph variants of an already encoded script, the
    disunification simply adds to the ambiguity and messiness of the
    standard, rather than reducing it.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)