Re: But E0000 Custom Language Tags Are Actually *Required* For Use By Unicode

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Mar 05 2005 - 12:51:14 CST

    Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya dot org> wrote:

    > No, I don't think so. It was either a cheap micro, or it may in fact
    > have been a printer's character set.

    I'm pretty sure I do remember a printer like that.

    Dik Winter describes a pair of TTS paper-tape codes at
    http://homepages.cwi.nl/~dik/english/codes/6tape.html#tts that encoded
    italics and small caps. These were for teletypesetting, so they were
    essentially also "printer codes."

    > Of course Unicode also has its own italic characters, U+1D434 to
    > U+1D467, but these are not intended for general purpose use.

    Among other drawbacks, they only encode the basic Latin and Greek
    alphabets, not digits, punctuation, or accented letters.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/