Re: Unicode's Mandate

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sat Mar 05 2005 - 20:12:34 CST

    On 05/03/2005 18:58, Doug Ewell wrote:

    >Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft dot com> wrote:
    >

    >>Are there glyph images that cannot be represented using TrueType
    >>outlines? No, there are not (and won't be as long as writing is done
    >>on surfaces rather than in three-dimensional space).

    Yes, there are if you allow for colour, or for that matter shades of
    grey (in the literal sense, not the metaphorical one Doug mentions). For
    by their very nature TrueType outlines assume black and white only.

    Another class of glyph which I don't think TrueType could handle is a
    fractal glyph, because this would require an infinite number of points.
    In fact I guess there is a limit to the resolution of glyphs, which is
    probably smaller than would be visible in any practical display size,
    but what if you wanted to print poster size glyphs but still have fine
    structure clearly visible only with a microscope?

    Also you seem to be implying flat surfaces. That is a real practical
    limitation, because glyphs are regularly printed on curved surfaces,
    such as on every egg sold in the UK.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)