Re: CGJ for Two Greek Ligatures?

From: vlad (emperor.vlad@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 06 2005 - 18:57:48 CST

    > > Couldn't the automatic ligation of fi be prevented in Turkish/Azeri by
    > > encoding their dotted i as i + COMBINING DOT ABOVE, rather than i
    > > alone?
    >
    > It could, but that's not what the character is.

    Well, it seems to me that i is undefined as to whether it has a dot
    above or not. Its dot may disappear when ligated or when replaced with
    a diacritic, and some fonts might display it dotless in all situations
    (for example, fonts where lowercase letters are displayed as small
    caps). In a situation where it is important to distinguish between
    dotted and undotted forms, wouldn't it make sense to encode an
    explicitly dotted form, rather than an ambiguous one?