Re: Encoded rendering instructions (was Unicode's Mandate)

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 21:36:06 CST

    Peter Constable wrote at 5:18 PM on Wednesday, March 9, 2005:

    >I don't think a limitation in XML regarding overlapping hierarchies
    >should be made a basis for encoding new characters.

    I've made it very clear that THE basis for my thinking on encoding damage
    indicators is to enable "guaranteed" integrity for damaged, interchanged
    plain text. My reasoning has no specific connection to XML (I have only
    responded to some recommended XML standards), but is applicable to ANY
    meta-textual markup for damaged text. My reasoning goes to the core of
    what separates text from meta-text. THAT, I believe, is the proper basis
    for discussion this discussion, not the merits or demerits of any
    particular markup system.

    Respectfully,

    Dean A. Snyder

    Assistant Research Scholar