RE: Encoded rendering instructions (was Unicode's Mandate)

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 23:09:59 CST

    At 02:43 PM 3/9/2005, Andrew C. West wrote:
    >As it happens I have to hand an apposite example of a conjectural reading
    >based
    >on parallel passages, and its representation in a printed book (see
    ><http://uk.geocities.com/BabelStone1357/ShangZhouGuWenziDuben_61.jpg>. In this
    >example of a Chinese oracle bone inscription from about 3000 years ago the
    >same
    >textual formula is repeated several times for different dates, and the editor
    >has been able to fill in any gaps by reference to the parallel examples. The
    >conjectural readings are indicated in the modern Chinese transcription by
    >means
    >of an enclosing square around the supplied ideograph.
    >
    >In my opinion, having a mechanism for enclosing a CJK ideograph in a
    >square box
    >to indicate a conjectural reading, as in this example, is within the scope of
    >Unicode, as it is representing a graphic feature of the textual transcription
    >(and the fact that it symbolises a conjectural reading is neither here nor
    >there).

    The character to use would be U+20DE COMBINING ENCLOSING SQUARE.

    Yes, it's in a section of diacritical marks for symbols, but this use is
    part of a notational convention, as opposed to standard text in a
    particular language, so going for that enclosing square (if the font and
    renderer support it) would be apropos.

    A./