Re: French accented characters - observations of problems

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Wed Mar 16 2005 - 12:18:05 CST

    On Wednesday, March 16th, 2005 13:28Z Donald Z. Osborn va escriure:
    > There have been complaints by some readers about problems in
    > rendering of French accented characters in some of the items.

    Ah! Those Frenchies ;-)

    Well, on Usenet we have a group (news:fr.usenet.8bits) that is dedicated to
    solve this kind of problems. It was set up loooong ago, but it is still not
    disbanded.

    And no, the (remanent) discussion about the introduction of UTF-8 as an
    allowed character set on the fr.* hierarchy is *not* the most frequent
    subject.
    We certainly had been allowed a revival around 1999, thanks to the ¤ sign;
    but the winner is probably the "smart quotes" that a well known word
    processor inserts as apostrophe, particularly when the text is cut&pasted.

    Antoine