Re: 'lower case a' and 'script a' in unicode

From: vlad (emperor.vlad@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 11:06:02 CST

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:45:03 -0800, Doug Ewell <dewell@adelphia.net> wrote:
    > "vlad" <emperor dot vlad at gmail dot com> wrote:
    >
    > > This means that not all fonts can be used for phonetics
    >
    > It has always been true that not all fonts can be used for phonetics,
    > and it will always be true.

    Well, just about every font can handle SAMPA...

    The problem is not that some font can't display a character, but that
    the glyph that displays when using an inappropriate font is
    *misleading*, rather than a simple filler glyph to let the user know
    that the font isn't capable of displaying it. I don't expect every
    font to be able to display everything, but I do expect to be able to
    be sure my characters won't display with the glyphs of entirely
    different characters with different meanings.