Re: Finnish Romany

From: Erkki Kolehmainen (erkki.kolehmainen@kotus.fi)
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 02:46:27 CST

    Re attached:

    The full alphabet of the Finnish Romany includes the following letters:
    a, b, d, e, f, g, h, h-caron, i, j, k, l, m, n, o, p, r, s, s-caron, t,
    u, v, y, z-caron, ä, ö.

    S-caron normally appears after t and z-caron only after d. The written
    usage of an independent s-caron is sporadic only.

    According to a Romany expert at the Research Institute for the Languages
    of Finland, h-caron is pronounced as a voiceless velar spirant,
    represented by x in many other Romany languages. It was developed for
    the Finnish Romany quite some time ago in order to ease the recognition
    of the character-sound relationship, due to the extensive assimilation.

    Regards,

    Erkki I. Kolehmainen
    Liaison to Unicode from RILF