Re: U+0023

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 10:23:25 CST

    When we went through our initial round of UI translations, ten years
    ago, our subsidiary in France flat-out insisted that U+00B0 DEGREE SIGN
    be used for the "numero" abbreviation, and not U+00BA MASCULINE ORDINAL
    INDICATOR.

    This was even after I pointed out the availability of both, in both the
    MS-DOS and Windows code pages (we didn't support Unicode yet), and even
    after I pointed out that this was a UI display issue and had no bearing
    on what customers might type.

    No, they said. It's DEGREE SIGN.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California