Re: U+0023

From: Patrick Andries (patrick.andries@xcential.com)
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 12:27:51 CST

    Doug Ewell a écrit :
    When we went through our initial round of UI translations, ten years
    ago, our subsidiary in France flat-out insisted that U+00B0 DEGREE SIGN
    be used for the "numero" abbreviation, and not U+00BA MASCULINE ORDINAL
    INDICATOR.

    This was even after I pointed out the availability of both, in both the
    MS-DOS and Windows code pages (we didn't support Unicode yet), and even
    after I pointed out that this was a UI display issue and had no bearing
    on what customers might type.

    No, they said.  It's DEGREE SIGN.

    I'm afraid, they are wrong. I had a discussion with Jacques André a few years ago on this, he is one of the best authority on the history of French typography.
     It is a letter « o » (like in *N*umer*o*) whose rim is not of even width and is more oval than the degree sign.

    Does any know of a font including the two plural forms of numéro with the o and s underlined ?

    P. A.