Re: Tamil 0B83: Tamil Aytham and Devanagari VisargaL

From: Sinnathurai Srivas (sisrivas@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 17:37:55 CST

    1) Additional annotations to the name

    2) Additions to the FAQ

    3) Additions to the standard's text on implementing Tamil

    Answering the above,

    1) I'll work on annotating.
    2) Will look at FAQ

    3) You may be surprised to hear, tamil Unicode is already implemented to a
    large extent.
    It is Unicode that is largely not implemented yet!
    No Graphic softwares available. Tamil will not be moved to Tamil Unicode,
    till Graphic software support is given.
    There is this problem of Lingering Aytham and dotted circle. Tamil Unicode
    will not be adopted till history over write this already resolved problem.
    There is no "Ohm" support. Printers do not like mixed Unicode and 8bit, when
    8bit gives full support, while Unicode keep fighting about what to give and
    what not to give.
    Yahoo mail and groups does not support Unicode. Google groups does not
    support Unicode. Webmails probably not supporting Unicode.

    8bit is supported for any thing you can name. Though 8bit email works, it
    may be bit fiddly to overcome hurdles.

    There are tamil unicode fonts. But there is no demand. So the pool of Tamil
    Unicode fonts not increasing. This is problem with unicode and not Tamil
    unicode. It is 5 more than 5 years since working tamil unicode fonts were
    published. But they are not usable in the mrket. Has some one look at the
    issues in detail?

    Tamil Unicode is ready to swing into action. We will continue to target for
    the swing opportunity.

    Sinnathurai srivas