Re: Does Unicode 4.1 change NFC?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 22:53:17 CST

    Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya dot org> wrote:

    > The problem will of course come when new UCD data is fed into an old
    > normaliser. You have made much in the past of the need not to change
    > the normalisation algorithm, not to add new classes of exceptions etc
    > so that programs don't have to be rewritten for each new version, only
    > the data needs to be updated. The sort of outcome I might well expect
    > to see from this is a normaliser emitting surrogate pairs in UTF-8 or
    > UTF-32.

    You'd better not see surrogate pairs in UTF-8 or UTF-32. We've only had
    10 years or so to get that right.

    > Well, however much I say "shame on the programmer" who wrote programs
    > which allowed all those nasty viruses and worms of a couple of years
    > ago to spread (I don't mean the virus etc programmer, but the mail
    > client etc programmer), that doesn't change the fact that that they
    > cost various people millions of dollars.

    I'm one of those programmers being alluded to, and I'm here to tell you
    that if I write normalization (or other) code that causes things to blow
    up or exposes security holes, then shame on me.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/