Gender symbols in 4.1.0

From: Mikael Wilander (Mikael.Wilander.3873@student.uu.se)
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 06:37:21 CST

    Hello!

    My first post to this list goes here. And consists of a few questions
    and ponderings from my side.

    1. Perhaps it is just my lack of proper English, but I personally think
    that the synonym for 26A2 could read "female homosexuality", to be in
    rhyme with the ones for 26A3 and 26A4. A very minor point though,
    especially since "lesbianism" is a much commoner and fancier name (in my
    ears and eyes).

    2. I see 26A4 used for heterosexuality much more often than bisexuality,
    though the latter meaning is also common. Perhaps a synonym "=
    heterosexuality" could be added? Or perhaps change the current wording
    into something like "= bi- or heterosexuality"...

    3. The usual signs/glyphs for bisexuality more often look like this (as
    I have seen them used):
        INTERLOCKED FEMALE AND FEMALE AND MALE (= ffm bisexuality)
        INTERLOCKED FEMALE AND MALE AND FEMALE (* variant of above)

        INTERLOCKED MALE AND MALE AND FEMALE (= mmf bisexuality)
        INTERLOCKED MALE AND FEMALE AND MALE (* variant of above)
    My point, is that they perhaps could be added (I suggest the topmost
    pair). Especially since they are quite common in use, and already exist
    in several fonts. There exists too many variations of these for all of
    them to be included in Unicode I guess, but since these two/four
    symbols/glyphs (depending on view) are muchly used, at least today, I
    can only see advantages of encoding them. ^___^

    For usage, see for example this collection:
    http://www.lambda.org/symbols.htm
    For fonts, see for example this Metafont:
    http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/genderfonts.html

    For easy reference, a portion of NamesList.txt (4.1.0):

    @ Gender symbols
    26A2 DOUBLED FEMALE SIGN
        = lesbianism
    26A3 DOUBLED MALE SIGN
        * a glyph variant has the two circles on the same line
        = male homosexuality
    26A4 INTERLOCKED FEMALE AND MALE SIGN
        * a glyph variant has the two circles on the same line
        = bisexuality
    26A5 MALE AND FEMALE SIGN
        = transgendered sexuality
        = hermaphrodite (in entomology)
    26A6 MALE WITH STROKE SIGN
        = transgendered sexuality
    26A7 MALE WITH STROKE AND MALE AND FEMALE SIGN
        = transgendered sexuality
    26A8 VERTICAL MALE WITH STROKE SIGN
        = ferrous iron sulphate (alchemy and older chemistry)
    26A9 HORIZONTAL MALE WITH STROKE SIGN
        = magnesium (alchemy and older chemistry)

    Kind regards from a flowery season,
    Micke

    p. s. All the charts I have looked at this far seem to have a problem
    with embedded fonts (or the like)...