Re: String name and Character Name

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 14:43:43 CST

    From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org>
    > On 13/04/2005 21:06, Otto Stolz wrote:

    >> It would, however, be more useful to the general public, if you would
    >> communicate your
    >> knowledge through the official channels, ... This would amount to
    >> pinpointing an actual error, or inaccuracy, in TUS
    >> (by chapter and verse), collecting evidence for the error or suggested
    >> amendmend,
    >> checking the Errata page at <http://www.unicode.org/errata/>, wording a
    >> correction,
    >> and delivering all of this information to
    >> <http://www.unicode.org/reporting.html>.

    > But I thought Ken had just told us that error reports on character names
    > made through these channels would be ignored. In fact Ken's words were:

    >>... both committees to decide that past a certain point
    >>such defect reports would be noted but not acted upon, insofar
    >>as they were requests for changes in names of published characters
    >>in the standards.

    > So isn't your advice just a waste of time?

    Back in 1999, I received over 300 pieces of email asking me to certify that
    (a) tools my company had written and given to people, (b) tools I had
    written under contract, or (c) both were "Y2K compliant".

    I finally put up a web page explaining why all of these people are basically
    either stupid or insane (since none of the work I had done did anything at
    all with dates and thus there was no issue here.

    I closed with a bit of text that may provide context to the suggestion here:

    ----
    If you have further questions, you may mail them to y2k@trigeminal.com.
    Please be aware of the fact that the server will throw all such inquiries
    away without review, so you will not receive an answer; but if it makes you
    feel better to send mail as some sort catharsis, then TSI has made the
    option available to you.
    ----
    :-)
    MichKa