Re: String name and Character Name

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Sun Apr 17 2005 - 12:12:53 CST

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, Peter Kirk wrote:

    > This approach sounds promising, as long as the better names are properly
    > provided for the 'en' locale as well as all the others.

    In fact, defining localized names for characters in the 'en' locale would
    be essential in the approach I suggested. In principle, they would
    constitute just one of the many language-specific locales, but in practice
    it would be special:
    a) it would use the official Unicode name for most characters
       since those names are in English and mostly suitable
    b) most other locales would probably use it as the fallback,
       at least initially.

    Naturally, 'en-US' and 'en-GB' locales could be somewhat different.