Example of the importance of scholarly encoding

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sun Apr 17 2005 - 14:09:13 CST

    Decoded at last: the 'classical holy grail' that may rewrite the
    history of the world

    Scientists begin to unlock the secrets of papyrus scraps bearing
    long-lost words by the literary giants of Greece and Rome

    http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=630165

    See also today's In the News article at http://en.wikipedia.org/

    Sophocles, Euripides, Archilochus, and other literary giants of
    antiquity, and possibly lost Christian gospels, are being recovered
    from classical Greek and Roman texts at the Oxyrhynchus
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyrhynchus) archaeological site in
    Egypt using infrared technology.

    Let no one say that Unicode should stop short of encoding all of the
    world's writing systems. Our work is long from finished.

    Optimistically,