Re: String name and Character Name

From: Patrick Andries (patrick.andries@xcential.com)
Date: Mon Apr 18 2005 - 15:17:11 CST

    John Hudson a écrit :

    > Ken said that requests to change names were were noted, but not acted
    > upon. I think you are presuming that the latter means that nothing
    > results from them, while Ken might simply have meant that requests to
    > change names never result in name changes. I seem to recall cases in
    > which complaints about names resulted in annotations in the standard.

    Yes, this is true. Ken is receptive to improvement in annotations.

    See

    1D0C5 BYZANTINE MUSICAL SYMBOL FHTORA SKLIRON CHROMA VASIS
        * misspelling of "FTHORA" in character name is a known defect

    0F0B TIBETAN MARK INTERSYLLABIC TSHEG (tsek)
        * morpheme delimiter (approximate meaning)
        * the normal tsheg; provides a break opportunity
        * character name is a misnomer

    0F0C TIBETAN MARK DELIMITER TSHEG BSTAR (tsek tar)
        * a non-breaking tsheg; inhibits line breaking
        * character name is a misnomer
        # <noBreak> 0F0B

    Etc.

    But not all errors seem to be annotated (see the recent discussion about
    Tibetan flourishes).

    To say nothing of varying spelling referring to the same kind of
    characters (OXIA --a modern transcription -- in 1F04 GREEK SMALL
    LETTER ALPHA WITH PSILI AND OXIA, but OXEIA (a transliteration) in
    1D003 BYZANTINE MUSICAL SYMBOL OXEIA EKFONITIKON, but still 1D002
    BYZANTINE MUSICAL SYMBOL PERISPOMENI with a final transcribed "I" and
    not as in ancient Greek PERISPOMENÈ, the corresponding transliteration)

    P.A.